Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

GLEE's Alex Newell is completly Unique!



I met my friend Alex back in the summer of 2011. He was a pit singer for Disney's Tarzan at North Shore Music Theater. Right a way I knew he had a super talent and I was captivated by his voice.
If you have not heard of Alex, it may be that you are living under a rock. Alex was the runner up on Fox's GLEE Project.
Just recently he visited CA to shoot 4 episodes of GLEE which started to air on April 17th, 2012.

Alex plays "Wade", a character on Glee who made her debut appearance in Saturday Night Glee-ver, the sixteenth episode of the third season. She is the first transgendered character on Glee, and identifies as female thus female pronouns should be used.http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Wade

I chatted with Alex to find out who is his influence are and what is next for him.

KSP: Alex, THANK YOU deeply for taking time to chat.
A.N.: No really thank you!!
KSP: Who has been your biggest influence in life and style?
A.N.: For life I'm gonna say......Beyonce, She's amazing and beautiful and I want to be her.
She's hard working and she's like the most well know women in the world.
KSP: What is "Wade's" story?
A.N.: He's just a kid that wants to wear a dress and sing.
KSP: You have played a women before on stage, was this an easy transition? Do you feel this character is giving a new voice for a younger generation?
A.N.: Yes I have I was Motor Mouth in Hairspray and it was amazing. The transition was really easy because I was so happy to be playing the part!!
KSP:Do you think your character will open more eyes?
A.N.: I hope it does!! its was amazing to see all the comments pour in, how people loved it

and understood the new character !!!!
KSP: Where do you hope all of this will take you?
A.N.: I hope to do more on tv.
KSP: Maybe your people can talk to Beyonce's people and you could sing together.
A.N.: Yes I would love it, I'd die!
KSP: lol, if you could do a song together what would it be?
A.N.: "Love on top", thats my jam I love that song like a fat kid loves cake.
KSP: I think after watching " Boggie Shoes" I can see you channeling your inner Beyonce.
KSP: Last question ....Beyonce's Mom is a huge factor in her success. I know your close to your Mom so will she also stay near by to help you in your career?
A.N.: Hahaha yes she's my Mom she's a huge stage mom. She is and sometimes gets over barring but alas she is a huge part of my success she keeps me grounded
KSP: Alex thanks for taking the time to chat. I love getting to know you more and more.
A.N.: No really thank you!! I'm glad I know you as a friend.
KSP: xoxo

Check Alex out as "Wade"in GLEE on FOX Tuesday nights!!!
Incase you missed it here is some UNIQUE Wade time:


Trivia Glee Wiki

  • Wade seeks advice from Mercedes and Kurt because she is both African-American and a member of the LGBT community. Specifically the T.
  • Ryan Murphy called Newell Mercedes and Kurt's love child on The Glee Project because of his high pitched voice, race and sexuality.
  • Her true-self, "Unique", is the exact opposite of Wade; confident, strong, and secure in her gender identity.
  • Wade is the show's first transgendered character, as she states that Kurt doesn't understand her struggles well because unlike her, he "identifies as a male".
  • Kurt and Mercedes first tried to make Wade lose Regionals for Vocal Adrenaline per Sue's advice by giving her a pair of high heels and encouraging her to go out in "drag"; however, when the two tried to explain this to Wade, it only made her performance as Unique stronger.


1 comment: